Sunday, August 3, 2008

The view from Highland Park

Summary of the past 4 months: Got a job through a temp agency (see previous post), got a temporary new place to stay, got a car (big hassle, but I've got a nice one now -pics on Facebook), got a more permanent apartment, worked for 3 months, temp job ended, and I managed to save a little cash so I'm not totally desperate going on 3 weeks without work.

But I am bored. Hence I have been slowly taking care of the chores that I should have taken care of previously when life was too hectic: getting my CA driver's license, renewing my contact lenses, organizing my stuff, starting to study Portuguese again, and updating all of my online obligations. And there was also a little bit of a health dilemma, which I will only begin to be less handicapped by this coming Thursday. It's a crappy diet, what can I say (no raw fruits or veggies, no whole grains, spices, or chocolate).

It's strange how I tend to get less done when I don't have a job than when I do. I guess I just can't easily set up a pattern for myself that I feel any strong compulsion to follow. Consequently, I get easily derailed by things like soreness or crazy cats. I'm not exaggerating, there are two cats where I currently live and all night for the past two weeks one sits outside my room all night after about 3 am and meows. And it's meow literally sounds like it's saying "hello? Hellooooooo..." (only it's a car so it's more like "rero?"). And then sometimes it jumps and crashes into the window by my head.

Anyway, I have decided to focus my current life around traveling. My goal is to get up enough money, do the research, and take off for a little while. Ideally, I'd like to go on the Hajj, then, if possible, travel to Turkey and Portugal and hey, maybe even Spain. If I'm rich.

Sadly, however, I didn't realize that the Hajj is actually in very early December this year. I won't know for sure until I get another job, but I'm a little doubtful that I would be able to raise enough money to go anywhere by that time.

So I'm going to do my research. But for starters, the country possibilities are Brazil, Portugal/Spain, and Turkey. I would like to take a little excursion to Mexico also, if possible (ideally with friends and by car). But that's lower on the agenda, so if it costs any substantial amount of money, that one's getting delayed.

Another deadline I'm dealing with: I will likely need to find a new place to live after December.

And so, out of no where, an agenda and some guidlines. Finally, something to focus on.

Updates to follow, of course :)

No comments: