Sunday, September 2, 2007

"Summer" recap

Go figure, you say "I'll update every week" and the whole summer goes by and you've written 5 times. That being the case, I'm going to see if I can sum things up:

1.) Came to California, set up an office in my room, started working with Warren on this internship directory project. After a while it becomes apparent that it's a pretty daunting project. But I manage to get out every once in a while.

2.) I'm in the house a lot, then the van gets stolen and there's all kinds of car drama and I'm stuck in the house even more - except for capoeira, thank god.

3.) Over the course of the summer, Alec graduates, many a weekend party happens at the house, Warren and Nick go to Costa Rica, the family goes camping, the van returns, The LA capoeira batizado happens (Heather and Alec get belted up), I get addicted to the Sopranos, I move rooms twice, and Liz is basically busy as usual.


And now I'm sleeping in a very nice air-conditioned room in a friends house across the street because Warren managed to rent out rooms in the house to 3 USC med students and 2 French med interns. It's the 2nd time I've been moved and it was a little annoying at first, but given the ridiculous heat wave the past 5 days or so I've been quite happy about it. Of course, I still spend the strong majority of my time over here at the house, which means that when everybody is home, there are at least 11 people sharing the same space.


So there's not too much to say. When the heat gets this intense you can't really walk or bike anywhere without dying (hence why we all have been basically stuck in the house the last few days - the whole car thing is still stcky), so my transportation exploration has definitely been put on hold. But the house isn't really air conditioned and I don't always feel like stripping down in front of strangers so I haven't been using the pool as much either. Thus I have spent the heat wave reading Harry Potter, watching the Sopranos and otherwise imitating a limp noodle. Everything else seems so hard - I haven't even called anyone besides my mother. Somehow it just seems like too much effort.

I did have a few thoughts though. School, for everyone except Alec and Moses, has started here. I've never stayed here past August. I'm also told that the weather doesn't really get cold until maybe February, that people go to the beach until about November. I'm thinking this should/will hopeully break things up a little.

That and a trip to NY of course.

No comments: